Jasper Roberts Consulting - Widget

Friday, September 16, 2011

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

We finished our introduction of the alphabet this week and celebrated by doing our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom unit!  I have a student teacher right now and I must say, she is AWESOME!  Oh my goodness....the kids love her.  They just have so much fun and it's kinda nice to sit back and watch my kids learn because they sure are!  Of course, she's following our reading series and curriculum map, so it's neat to see her do all the things I would be doing, but for me to watch the kids from a different view is great!  Check out all the fun things she did with them this week!  She's so "on top of it"!


You can find the next 8 activities plus MORE in my Chicka Chicka Boom Boom unit on TpT.

 This was fun...if you do this make sure you have pictures and a name chart for them to look at



 a little reader they take home



 Bowling is ALWAYS a HIT!



 Mrs. Wood made these next few activities herself...the kids LOVED the stickers!  She found number cards at Dollar Tree so they had to pick a card and then write the number, number word, and put that many stickers in the box.

 Jamie Mayas made this fun pattern game...check out her post as well!

 ABC order....they also did one with the first half of the alphabet

Look at this!  They made the alphabet by using the sides of their little hands only....no finger painting...they did so good!  



Each child got a balloon (or two) and popped out a letter to match to the uppercase letter on a pocket chart...we listened to Who Let the Letters Out by Dr. Jean
this idea came from Mrs. Estes



I can honestly say I've never even bought a real coconut much less cracked one open, but Mrs. Wood is up for anything so she cracked a few for us to see..but first we explored them



  eating coconut

She made a five senses chart about coconuts
  
They graphed if coconut was coconut was yummy or yucky

I think this little shape tree was on of my favorite things she did with them

Mrs. Wood created this beautiful door for our classroom using the kids handprints...each child used die-cut letters to build their name on top of their handprints

Cute little Chicka headbands...this idea came from April Larremore from Chalk Talk Blog

These cute little alphabet shakers are too cute, but so very loud!  I'm sure their parents are happy right now... :)  Mrs. Wood thought of adding the grass to the top...Clever!

These toilet paper roll trees came from Kim Jordano, but Mrs. Wood slit the side and put a rolled up alphabet inside then it just pulls right out...


She took the kids on an alphabet hunt after reading Alphabet City...
  
Our alphabet and coconut party was fun...

Yes, Dollar Tree...

Thanks Mrs. Bynum for the yummy coconut M&M's...
Have you ever seen these?  So. Good.

coconut juice....yum!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like your kiddos had a lot of fun this week! What great ideas you have to share. I think I am going to make the alphabet shaker bottles. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished my unit, Chicka Chicka Names...I'll have to add some of your great ideas next year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you let them taste real coconut! Looks like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! The ideas are cute as a button!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could kiss you! These are fabulous! I am teaching kinder (jk/sk) for the first time (I teach gr.4 in the am) and have been stressing about what to do with them!! I am writing these ideas into my planner!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you put in the alphabet shaker bottles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shakers have colored rice, palm tree confetti, alphabet confetti and beans for coconuts...
    Thanks everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing. Would you mind telling me which unit your ABC order activity sheet is in. Thanks, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your activities for "Chicka Chicka" are SO cute! We recently made the hats for our "Chicka Chicka" day at school! I posted a picture on my blog and linked your page, hope that's ok! You can check it out here: http://pinkpolkadotsandprek.blogspot.com/2012/09/chicka-chicka-boom-boom_21.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover